For those with diabetes, ensuring that their body’s blood flow remains well functioning is one of the best things they can do for their health. A number of serious health complications such as neuropathy, heart disease and stroke are known to be caused or worsened by poor circulation. Since those with diabetes are already at greater risk for developing these problems, it is important that they seek ways to keep their blood flow optimal.
As with many other aspects of our health, nutrition can play a crucial role in preserving our well being. While there are many fruits, vegetables, herbs and spices that can help with blood circulation, we recommend these 5 common, inexpensive and easy to find foods:
- Citrus fruits: Oranges, tangerines, kiwis, and a number of other fruits rich in vitamin C are known to prevent poor circulation by acting as a natural blood thinner and strengthening the blood vessels.
- Cayenne pepper: This spicy vegetable stimulates the heart when consumed which will strengthen the blood vessels, clear the arteries and increase the body’s metabolic rate. Alternatively, cayenne powder also has these same effects.
- Dark chocolate (70-85% cacao): Dark chocolate contains naturally occurring flavonoids that are known to improve blood circulation. However, make sure the brand you eat contains 70-85% cacao in order to get these benefits.
- Avocado: This delicious fruit is rich in omega 3 fatty acids which play an important role in many aspects of cardiovascular health, one of them being proper blood circulation.
- Garlic: This bulbous plant stimulates the heart which improves blood flow and clears the arteries.
While we encourage you to try these foods as a natural means to improve your blood circulation, make sure to consult your doctor or nutritionist before making any sudden changes to your diet.
Note: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek medical advice for any questions regarding a medical condition or changes in your treatment.