Take a short-cut with canned beans combined with southwestern seasoning for an instantaneous super soup.
Makes 8 (1-cup) servings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped fire-roasted tomatoes with juice
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium fat-free vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté onion, green pepper, and garlic until tender, 7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients.
- Remove 2 cups black bean mixture, puree in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to pot with remaining mixture, bring to boil. Lower heat, simmer 10–15 minutes. Season to taste.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories 212, Calories from fat (%) 8, Fat (g) 2, Saturated Fat (g) 0, Cholesterol (mg) 0, Sodium (mg) 576, Carbohydrate (g) 34, Dietary Fiber (g) 14, Sugars (g) 3, Protein (g) 13, Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat
Terrific Tip: Always rinse canned beans to lower the sodium content.
Nutrition Nugget: A nutritional bargain, beans provide an excellent source of fiber and folate, helping with digestive health and weight maintenance.