This is a salad I created for People’s Pharmacy. Our customers really enjoy it and come back for more every day at lunch.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts, poached
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Spectrum organic mayonnaise (or your favorite brand)
- 4 oz seedless black grapes, washed and cut in half (about ¾ cup)
- 1 cup toasted walnut pieces
- Poaching the Chicken: The day before you plan to serve this salad, fill up a medium pot half way with hot water. Bring to boil on high.
- Place the chicken breast gently in the boiling water (do not burn yourself!). Keeping the heat on high, bring back to boil. Take pot off the heat. Check to make sure chicken is cooked but not overdone.
- Drain cooked chicken breasts into colander. Let cool to room temperature. Cut into ½ inch cubes. Let cool overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Toasting the Walnuts: Preheat your oven to 350˚ Spread walnuts pieces on a baking sheet. Place in oven. Roast for 5 minutes, turn the baking sheet around; roast another 5 minutes. Check for a light brown color and a nutty fragrance. Let cool before adding to salad.
- The next day put together the celery, carrot, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, grapes, walnut pieces and mayonnaise in a large mixing bowl. Toss together gently. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Enjoy!