The Dragon fruit or Pitaya is an exotic looking fruit that originates from Mexico and Central America. However it’s extremely popular in Southeast Asia where it is readily available in almost every market. This fruit was first introduced into that area (mainly Vietnam) by French traders in the late 1800s where it quickly spread throughout the region. This led to the delicious fruit becoming one of the most profitable exports in Vietnam. While its strange look may turn you off it provides many health benefits that should be taken advantage of especially those with diabetes.
Dragon fruit is low in calories and cholesterol making it a perfect choice for those trying to lose weight. One fruit has: 59 calories, 0.38 grams of fat, 2 grams of dietary fiber, 10 grams of sugar, 1 gram of protein, and high content of Vitamin C (over 30% of the DV). These make the fruit a powerhouse that gives it the following benefits:
- Its high content of vitamin C give the fruit antioxidant properties that help reduce cell damage caused by free radicals, prevent cardiovascular disease, occurrence of type 2 diabetes, and even boost the body’s immune system.
- Dragon fruit is a good source of fiber which supports the digestive system. It also helps regulate bowl movements, keep control of blood sugar levels, and prevents cancer causing substances from entering the colon.
- As stated before it does help in weight loss by making us feel full longer thanks to its fiber content which prevents us from overeating and it also helps our metabolic system making our body more energy efficient thanks to its high content of B vitamins.
- The fruit is well known for its moderate source of minerals some of the most prominent ones are calcium and iron. They help by improving bone health, muscle function, and makes oxygen travel through the body more efficiently.
- There are also facial masks that come from this wonderful fruit. This treatment makes the skin look younger and healthier. It can also treat be used to treat acne and soothe sunburns especially now that we are in summer.
The dragon fruit can be enjoyed in a variety of ways that range from: eating the pulp inside, adding them to a fruit salad, paste for sandwiches, or even smoothies. As always please eat the fruit in moderation it does still have a moderate amount of sugar that can aggravate diabetic systems. But we hope that the benefits will convince you to add the fruit into your diet.