Overeating and inactivity are behavioral patterns that have been learned and unfortunately have been practiced for years. People are able to change those patterns, but first, they have to feel the need for a change. Once the decision has been made, it’s all about when to start and then, to keep that momentum going.
We always tend to believe that the first step is the hardest one but the truth is that most of the time is the easiest one. We have done this so many times before. However, it is not uncommon to stumble after which it is more difficult to start over again as usually our best intentions in life are confronted with many obstacles and challenges. Facing a tough week at work, catching the flu, or receiving regular family visits will encourage you to go back to previous behavioral habits.
Despite these possible setbacks, we offer you these easy steps towards obtaining a healthier life:
- Set the wake-up alarm clock and the coffee maker at the same time. The coffee aroma will help motivate you to get up out of your bed and get moving. Or, before going to bed you could fill the coffee maker having it ready for making your coffee in the morning. Coffee improves your mood and cognitive functions thus increasing the chances that you will get of the house on time. Also, coffee increases your stamina.
- If you are not sure where to start, just take a walk for at least 30 minutes. Do no forget to exercise your arms simultaneously.
- Record your progress on a calendar, in your cell phone, or in a place where you can check it regularly.
- Bring back good memories from happy moments and times involving activities such as swimming in the pool or at the beach, biking, or playing tennis with friends. Use those memories as an electrical burst to invigorate yourself.
- Know yourself! This is important as only those activities that are enjoyable to you will have higher probability of becoming a habit. So, find out what works for you.
- If you enjoy music, select those songs that will make you feel energetic.
- If you are planning to join a fitness gym, look for one that is near your home or work, is friendly and where, you, feel comfortable.
- Buy nice clothing to wear while you are at the gym or workout. It has been found that the right outfit can be enough to motivate you into getting some exercise.
Finally, focusing on the following positive results you should get, will help you:
- Clear your mind and encourage your creativity.
- Relax and release emotional stress and muscular tension.
- Eliminate toxins and burn excessive fat.
- Overcome cellulite and flabbiness.
- Help oxygenate your body.
- Strengthen your cardiovascular system.
Think of the process of acquiring new habits as a retraining program. Over time, your brain will start to associate those new positive behaviors with new habits and the bad old habits fade away into the distance of the past.