Diabetic ketoacidosis is a condition caused in people with diabetes where ketones are spilled in the blood causing dangerous irregularities with in their bodies. Diabetic ketoacidosis is normally triggered when a person is not getting enough insulin triggering the production of ketones, which can cause life-threatening issues, if not taken care of quickly. It is crucial to understand the signs associated with ketoacidosis, which can save you from a dangerous situation. Some signs may include:
- Consistently high blood sugar levels (blood glucose level over 300 mg/dL
- High level of ketones in your urine (can be tested with keto-sticks at home)
- Consistent weakness and fatigue
- Fruity breathe (due to excess sugar in your blood)
- Always thirsty and frequent urination
- Shortness of breathe (maybe even hyperventilation in severe cases)
- Nausea and vomiting
If you are experiencing more than 2 or 3 of these symptoms simultaneously then please seek medical assistance immediately since diabetic ketoacidosis can be fatal if not addressed quickly. Diabetic ketoacidosis can normally be diagnosed using keto-sticks in the comfort of your own home. So make sure you always have a container of keto-sticks at your house and test 1-2 times a week even if there are no signs to ensure no problems arise.
Note: The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek medical advice for any questions regarding a medical condition or changes in your treatment.