Wheat germ (Wheat embryo) is extracted from the wheat seed and is considered by many experts a powerhouse of nutrients that can provide optimal health to your body. For many years the wheat germ and other parts of the wheat (contain most of its vitamins and minerals) have been thrown away when producing white flour. This product had no nutritional value and led to the creation of synthetic vitamins that damage the body in the long run. Wheat germ comes in two forms: straight from the seed or made into natural oils both give tremendous health benefits and can be taken advantage of even by those with a strict diet such as diabetics or trying to lose weight.
However please be careful when consuming the embryo as those that suffer from Celiac Disease or have allergies to gluten will worsen their symptoms. 100 grams of wheat germ has: 360 calories, 10 grams of fat, 13 grams of dietary fiber (over 50% of the DV), naturally has no sugar, and 23 grams of protein. Combined with the vitamins and minerals brings the following benefits:
- Its high fiber content helps regulate bowel movements, lower LDL (bad) cholesterol, normalize blood sugar levels, promote a sense of fullness which helps avoid overeating, fight off toxic substances that cause colon cancer, and prevent cardiovascular disease.
- The embryo has a high amount of vitamin E (wheat germ oil has a higher content) which brings antioxidant properties to it this helps reduce cell damage caused by free radicals, provides additional support against cardiovascular disease, prevent the occurrence of type 2 diabetes, and the vitamin itself boosts immune functions.
- Wheat germ is an excellent source of B vitamins that provide the following: prevents neurological birth defects in pregnant women, improves cognitive functions, metabolic efficiency, and cardiovascular health.
- Also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids that helps lower overall cholesterol, increase nervous systems functions, and lower inflammation.
- Minerals (Zinc, Magnesium, Phosphorous) inside helps fight off viruses, increase bone mass, improve injury recovery, and hearth health.
While having little effect on blood sugar levels please watch the amount of wheat germ you eat due to its high amount of calories which can lead to weight gain. The embryo can be added to a variety of recipes that give it a distinctive taste and crunch. As always moderation is key to a healthier lifestyle and always consult a professional when making drastic changes to your diet.