This recipe is ready in minutes, and it can be made out of leftovers. Just add fresh zucchini and yellow squash for a wonderful dinner. People with diabetes can enjoy this delicious combination of pasta veggies and chicken without experiencing high blood sugar peaks as all the ingredients in this recipe have a low glycemic index.
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 tsp plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cooked
- 2 cups small whole-wheat pasta
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- Combine ¼ cup basil, tomato sauce, 2 tsp olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in chicken; let stand for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pan of boiling water until just tender, according to package directions. Drain; do not rinse.
- Quarter zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken mixture along with the squash. Cook, stirring, until the chicken is warm, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and heat, stirring, until piping hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/4 cup basil and season with pepper. Serve right away.
Did you know…?
One serving = about 1 ¼ cup
Calories: 310 Protein: 28g Fiber: 7g Sugars: 7g Fat: 6g