Who exercises adds life to his years and years to his life” (Anonymous). This is a well-known saying and its so very true!
The human body has more than 640 muscles for very good reasons. May be the most important being to be able to move around. The more you move the healthier you will be. Hence, exercising is not an option is a must!
If you want to increase your physical activity, you may choose:
- To introduce a specific exercise routine within your weekly program and gradually increase the amount of time allotted to that routine. Try longer and faster movements.
- To increase your physical activity up to at least two hours daily. You can stand up, move around your home, take the stairs, talk over the phone while walking and so forth.
Generally speaking, exercise can be classified as aerobic and anaerobic. The first one refers to any physical activity that involves a large muscle mass in a rhythmical fashion. It increases heart and lungs capacity to mobilize more efficiently oxygenated blood throughout the organism. Anaerobic exercise is intense and brief. A good example is weight lifting and it has great advantages in the long run.
Exercise not only improves your physical fitness but also your mental health. Among others, it has the following benefits;
- It helps you relax and release tensions.
- it boosts your creativity to come up with novel ideas and innovative solutions to problems and conflicts.
- It increases your strength and stamina.
- It invigorates your confidence and self-esteem.
- It clears and keeps your mind open.
Aerobic exercise should be the first choice because since it takes longer to do it and being performed at slower pace, it will mobilize fat as energy source. It will also decrease appetite and improves the immune system.
If you have recently been diagnosed with prediabetes, wait no more, start exercising immediately. Physical activity will slow down the progression of this condition and help you regain your health.
Remember to start your exercise routine gradually. Go easy and increase activity little by little. On the other hand, you shouldn’t stop your routine suddenly. Likewise, it’s better to reduce the intensity in a gradual manner.